Pulling out summer veggies takes teamwork!

Friday, July 22, 2011

Bees!

When I used to hear the word "bees!" squealed by a child, I knew I would turn to see that child, and soon to follow, the rest running, yelling, and swatting.  It didn't matter how many times I stressed to 'just walk away,' and 'when you swat they will sting,' and 'they are more scared of you then you are of them.'  For some reason even a fly in the classroom can cause a complete loss of control...doesn't take much, lol.
Honey bee and Bumble bee pollinating at the same time!  Could this pass as
 Multicultural?!?!  I think so!
Now, thanks to our garden, we celebrate bees.  I have taught the kids the difference between 'male' and 'female' blossoms and how the bees need to 'mix' the pollen from each in order for the fruit/vegetables to grow.  Okay, before I had this discussion, I had to find another way to refer to the 2 types of blossoms, otherwise I feared the topic of mommy, daddy, and babies would ensue.  Because we had not yet gotten both types, I drew a picture.  The first type, or male, blossoms show up first, then a week or 2 later, the second type (female) begin to show up.  The first type have a straight stem connecting the blossom to the main stem/vine.  The second type will have a bump at the bottom of the blossom, then connected to the main stem/vine.

Our cucumbers, growing on the trellis were the first to have both types.  Just above the 2 bottom leaves, the blossom on the left is the 'first' type, and the blossom on the right has the baby cucumber.  This one has already 'set' or pollinated.  The kids were amazed to see the babies.  I was amazed that some kids have never seen a whole cucumber...only sliced.  Wow, gardening is more important than I thought!  Another child said, "They look like pickles to me!"  Guess what we'll be making in a couple weeks?  Yep, pickles!  I don't know how to exactly yet, but I know it involves vinegar...how hard can it be?!  :)
Our spring garden did not need bees for pollination, so this has added some great learning opportunities.  The kids still squeal, "bees!" but when I turn around, I see kids peering into the trellis and into blossoms.  They are making slow and calm movements!  We also have modified our snack/lunch song.  Instead of saying the words with hand movements, we buzz.  The kids request this method all the time to "call the bees to our garden!"


Squash:  lower blossom is the first type, upper blossom is the second type.

K. peeking through the leaves to watch the bees bounce from blossom to blossom.  :)
PS!  I did check our allergy list to assure that we have no (known) severe allergies to bees.  We don't, but I really don't know what I would do differently if we did...aside from keeping an epi-pen in my pocket?



No comments:

Post a Comment