Pulling out summer veggies takes teamwork!

Saturday, July 30, 2011

Farmville didn't prepare me for this! Dad...this one's for you! :)

Ugh!  I had NO idea that insects were SUCH a menace to a garden!  Beware...some of the pics are graphic!

It started out as an exciting morning.  The kids spotted a really cool looking insect!

We picked it up, looked at it, and discussed what we should do with it.  I explained that it could be a good insect for the garden or a bad one.  We inspected the leaf he was sitting on, it looked nice and healthy, and we had already harvested 2 summer squash from the plant.  So...we PUT HIM BACK ON THE LEAF. I promised the kids that I would look it up on the internet when I get home.

I posted the pic on a garden forum, and within minutes received my answer in bold, urgent words:  squash vine borer.  I had never heard of it and luckily the person from the forum provided me with an excellent link to info and pics of the dreaded SVB.  Armed with a copy of the info, I went to work the next day and shared it with the kids. Grossed out and very concerned we headed outside to see if we could find the tell-tail signs of eggs on the stems or even worse, signs that one had indeed bored into the stem of our squash plant...ick!
See that yellow stringy stuff on and next to the hose?  Yup.  You may also be able to make out more of that nasty stuff up higher on the stem as well.

The SVB information sheet informed us that the plants were probably doomed at this point, as the larvae bore into the stem and take all of the nutrients from the plant.  BUT, the plants may have a slight chance if we can find and remove the larvae...again...ick.  Of course we couldn't let our plants die without a fight!  Armed with large plastic tweezers and child safety/nubby ended scissors, I went in for surgery.  I made the best 'incision' I could (with child safety scissors, lol!) up the stem, beginning where the yellow icky stuff was spotted and...ew, ick, ick, ew, gross, gag!
That nasty white wormy thing is a SVB larva.

Another smaller larva in another plant.  :(



We ended up finding six of these DISGUSTING critters in four different squash and zucchini plants.  The last step to try to save the plants was to bury the damaged stems and water well, in hope they can recover.  This occurred two weeks ago and so far, we have only lost one squash and one zucchini plant.  The remaining two plants look pretty healthy, but have yet to produce more veggies.  The kids and I are now diligent in checking for the eggs and yellow 'ick' signs! Because we live in the fine southern state of Georgia, the SVB's get to grace us with two life cycles per summer!  

I have been able to find the positives in this immensely, disgusting experience. We have experienced the life cycle of an insect FIRST HAND.  I can't think of a more 'hands-on' experience than that!  And...if there IS one, I'm not sure I want to deal with it, lol.  :)  The loss of the 2 plants has added space for our now sprawling pumpkin and watermelon vines!
The garden, July 29, 2011

Was it worth all the work?  I wasn't so sure, until one of my students came up to me and gave me a hug.  She said, "Ms. Caitlin, that was THE MOST disgusting thing I have ever seen.  But it was really cool at the same time!"  :)  Yep, it's worth it.

1 comment: